Serena P. Hallowell
Serena P. Hallowell leads the Direct Action Litigation Practice and focuses on complex litigation, prosecuting securities fraud cases on behalf of some of the world's largest institutional investors, including pension funds, hedge funds, mutual funds, asset managers, and other large institutional investors. Currently she is prosecuting several direct actions against Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc., Perrigo Company, PLC, and AbbVie Inc. alleging a wide variety of state and federal claims. In addition, Serena regularly counsels clients on the merits of pursuing an opt out or direct action strategy as a means of recovery. Serena also serves as Co-Chair of the Firm's Women's Networking and Mentoring Initiative and is actively involved in the Firm’s summer associate and lateral hiring programs.
In recent years, Serena has been recommended by The Legal 500 in securities litigation. In 2016, she was named a Benchmark Litigation Rising Star and a Rising Star by Law360.
Serena was part of a highly skilled team that reached a $140 million settlement against one of the world's largest gold mining companies in In re Barrick Gold Securities Litigation. Playing a principal role in prosecuting In re Computer Sciences Corporation Securities Litigation in a "rocket docket" jurisdiction, she helped secure a settlement of $97.5 million on behalf of lead plaintiff Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board, the third largest all cash settlement in the Fourth Circuit at the time. She was also instrumental in securing a $48 million recovery in Medoff v. CVS Caremark Corporation, as well as a $41.5 million settlement in In re NII Holdings, Inc. Securities Litigation. Serena also has broad appellate and trial experience.
Prior to joining Labaton Sucharow, Serena was an attorney at Ohrenstein & Brown LLP, where she participated in various federal and state commercial litigation matters. During her time there, she also defended financial companies in regulatory proceedings and assisted in high-profile litigation matters in connection with mutual funds trading investigations.
Serena received a J.D. from Boston University School of Law, where she served as the Note Editor for the Journal of Science & Technology Law. She earned a B.A. in Political Science from Occidental College.
Serena is a member of the New York City Bar Association, where she serves on the Securities Litigation Commitee, the Federal Bar Council, the South Asian Bar Association, the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA), and the National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL). Her pro bono work includes representing immigrant detainees in removal proceedings for the American Immigrant Representation Project and devoting time to the Securities Arbitration Clinic at Brooklyn Law School.
She is conversational in Urdu/Hindi.
Boston University School of Law
B.A., Political Science, 1999
- Direct Action Litigation Against Perrigo
- Lord Abbett Investment Trust – Lord Abbett Short Duration Income Fund v. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi v. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
- The Boeing Company Employee Retirement Plans Master Trust v. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re Barrick Gold Securities Litigation
- In re Coinstar Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Computer Sciences Corporation Securities Litigation
- In re Genworth Financial, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Intuitive Surgical Securities Litigation
- Massachusetts Bricklayers and Masons Trust Funds v. Deutsche Alt-A Securities, Inc., et al. (Deutsche Mortgage Pass-Through Certificates Securities Litigation)
- Medoff v. CVS Caremark Corporation et al
- In re NII Holdings, Inc. Securities Litigation
2004, New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
2012, First Circuit
2017, Ninth Circuit
2011, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court
2006, Southern District of New York
2006, Eastern District of New York
In the News
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow's Women's Initiative Hosts All Female Panelists Focusing on Institutional Investing in Women and Minority-Owned Investment Firms (10/3/2018)
- Bloomberg Law, Whistleblower, Shareholder Disputes Headed for High Court Nov. 28 (11/24/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Files Trio of Direct Actions Against AbbVie Alleging Securities Fraud (10/16/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Files Direct Action on Behalf of Boeing and Mississippi PERS Against Valeant Alleging Securities Fraud (09/28/2017)
- Press Release,Labaton Sucharow Files Direct Action on Behalf of Lord Abbett Against Valeant Alleging Securities Fraud (08/23/2017)
- Bloomberg BNA Securities Law Daily, Justices’ Securities Docket Could Reflect Class Action Focus (07/19/2017)
- Vox, U.S. Officials Are Starting to Treat Opioid Companies Like Big Tobacco — and Suing Them (06/07/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Earns High Marks in the 2017 Legal 500 Guide (05/31/2017)
- Chicago Tribune, Southern Illinois County Sues Abbott Over Marketing's Role in Opioid Epidemic (04/21/2017)
- The Washington Post, Opioid Distributors Sued by West Virginia Counties Hit by Drug Crisis (03/09/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Achieves Recovery in Suit over Latin American Gold Mining Project (05/31/2016)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Recovers $41.5 Million in Securities Class Action Against Multinational Communications Co. Executives (04/19/2016)
- Law360, Rising Star: Labaton Sucharow's Serena Hallowell (04/04/2016)
- Law360, What Associates Need to Do to Stand Out (01/14/2015)
- Law360, Judge Trims Intuitive Surgery Device Securities Class Action (08/22/2014)
Published & Presented
- New York City Bar Association, Securities Litigation 101: Commencing and Contesting a Federal Securities Class Action (November 12, 2018)
- Law360, China Agritech's Postive Implications for Plaintiffs (July 3, 2018)
- Investor Alert: Ninth Circuit Holds That Section 14(E) of the Exchange Act Requires a Showing of Negligence, not Scienter (April 30, 2018)
- St. John's School of Law: Multilingual Legal Advocates Program, Insights on Being a Bilingual Female Lawyer in the Legal Industry (04/10/2018)
- Lawline, Trends in Direct Actions and the Rise of Direct Actions in the Securities Fraud Arena (Speaker) (01/23/2018)
- National Association of Public Pension Plan Attorneys (NAPPA), Direct Actions: A Path to Recovery for Foreign Purchases of Securities (10/31/2017)
- New York City Bar Association, Recent Developments in Securities Litigation (Panelist) (10/24/2017)
- Investor Alert: U.S. Supreme Court Holds That Securities Act's Three-Year Limitation Period Is Not Suspended by a Pending Class Action (07/2017)
- Law360, Investor Recovery Strategies Following ANZ Securities (07/12/2017)
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL), Women's Initiatives Leadership Boot Camp (Moderator) (05/01/2015)
- Labaton Sucharow, Trial Advocacy and Class Actions – Available Pre-Trial Tools To Deal with Evidentiary Issues of Admissibility and Authentication (Speaker) (09/30/2014)
- New York Law Journal, Does 'Dukes' Require Full 'Daubert' Scrutiny at Class Certification? (11/25/2011)