Ned Weinberger is Chair of the Firm’s Corporate Governance and Shareholder Rights Litigation Practice. An experienced advocate of shareholder rights, Ned focuses on representing investors in corporate governance and transactional matters, including class action and derivative litigation. Ned was recognized by Chambers & Partners USA in the Delaware Court of Chancery and was named "Up and Coming," for the second year in a row, the by-product of his impressive range of practice areas. He was also recently named a "Leading Lawyer" by The Legal 500 and a Rising Star by Benchmark Litigation.
Ned is currently prosecuting, among other matters, In re Straight Path Communications Inc. Consolidated Stockholder Litigation, which alleges breaches of fiduciary duty by the controlling stockholder of Straight Path Communications, Howard Jonas, in connection with the company’s proposed sale to Verizon Communications Inc. He also leads a class and derivative action on behalf of stockholders of Providence Service Corporation—Haverhill Retirement System v. Kerley—that challenges an acquisition financing arrangement involving Providence’s board chairman and his hedge fund. The case recently settled for $10 million, and is currently pending court approval.
Ned was part of a team that achieved a $12 million recovery on behalf of stockholders of ArthroCare Corporation in a case alleging breaches of fiduciary duty by the ArthroCare board of directors and other defendants in connection with Smith & Nephew, Inc.’s acquisition of ArthroCare. Other recent successes on behalf of stockholders include In re Vaalco Energy Inc. Consolidated Stockholder Litigation, which resulted in the invalidation of charter and bylaw provisions that interfered with stockholders’ fundamental right to remove directors without cause.
Prior to joining Labaton Sucharow, Ned was a litigation associate at Grant & Eisenhofer P.A. where he gained substantial experience in all aspects of investor protection, including representing shareholders in matters relating to securities fraud, mergers and acquisitions, and alternative entities. Representative of Ned's experience in the Delaware Court of Chancery is In re Barnes & Noble Stockholders Derivative Litigation, in which Ned assisted in obtaining approximately $29 million in settlements on behalf of Barnes & Noble investors. Ned was also part of the litigation team in In re Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings, Inc. Shareholder Litigation, the settlement of which provided numerous benefits for Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings and its shareholders, including, among other things, a $200 million cash dividend to the company's shareholders.
Ned received his J.D. from the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville where he served on the Journal of Law and Education. He earned his B.A. in English Literature, cum laude, at Miami University.
Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville
- California State Teachers' Retirement System v. Alvarez (Wal-Mart Derivative Litigation)
- Cambridge Retirement System v. DeCarlo
- H&N Management Group, Inc. & Aff Cos Frozen Money Purchase Plan v. American Capital Agency Corp.
- Wayne County Employees' Retirement System v. Mavenir, Inc. F/K/A Xura, Inc.
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re Arthrocare Corp. Stockholder Litigation
- Haverhill Retirement System v. Richard A. Kerley, et al. and The Providence Service Corporation
- Norfolk County Retirement System v. Aaron's, Inc.
- In re Sears Holdings Corporation Stockholder and Derivative Litigation
- In re Vaalco Energy Inc. Consolidated Stockholder Litigation
- In re Walgreen Co. Derivative Litigation
2011, New York
U.S. District Court
2010, District of Delaware
In the News
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Earns High Marks in the 2017 Legal 500 Guide (05/31/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Remains Prominent Player in the Plaintiffs Bar (05/26/2017)
- Business Insider, Inside Sears' Death Spiral: How an Iconic American Brand Has Been Driven to the Edge of Bankruptcy (01/08/2017)
- Law360, AmTrust Director Can't Escape Suit Over Dropped Acquisition (06/16/2016)
- FundFire, Pensions, Wells Advisor Sue Citi Directors for Fraud (04/07/2016)
- Law360, Named Labaton Sucharow Class Action Practice Group of the Year (2012, 2014-2017)
- Benchmark Litigation, Rising Stars (2017)
- The Legal 500, Leading Lawyer in the Field of Dispute Resolution: M&A Litigation Plaintiff (2017)
- Chambers & Partners USA, Plaintiffs' Chancery Up and Coming (2017-2018); Associates to Watch (2016)
Published & Presented
- The Law & Economics Center, Federal Judges on the Economics of Corporate & Securities Law (Panelist) (04/12/2018)
- Practising Law Institute (PLI), Related-Party and Conflicts Transactions: What's a Board to Do (Speaker) (11/30/2016)
- American Association for Justice, Roundtable Discussion (Panelist) (12/08/2016)
- American Association for Justice, AAJ 2014 Annual Convention (Panelist) (07/29/2014)
- Pensions & Investments, Requiring Greater Accountability of MLPs for Investors (04/28/2014)