John J. Esmay
John J. Esmay focuses on prosecuting complex securities fraud cases on behalf of institutional investors.
Prior to joining Labaton Sucharow, John was an associate at a white collar defense firm where he assisted in all aspects of complex litigation including securities fraud, banking regulation violations, and other regulatory matters. John successfully defended a disciplinary hearing brought by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority's (FINRA) enforcement division for allegations of insider trading and securities fraud. John helped reach a successful conclusion of a criminal prosecution of a trader for one of the nation's largest financial institutions involved in a major bid-rigging scheme. He was also instrumental in clearing charges and settling a regulatory matter against a healthcare provider brought by the New York State Office of the Attorney General.
Prior to his white collar defense experience, John was an associate at Hogan Lovells US LLP and litigated many large complex civil matters including securities fraud cases, antitrust violations, and intellectual property disputes.
John also previously worked as a judicial clerk for the Honorable William H. Pauley III in the Southern District of New York. He received his J.D., magna cum laude, from Brooklyn Law School and his B.S. from Pomona College.
Brooklyn Law School
J.D., 2007, magna cum laude
- In re BP p.l.c. Securities Litigation (BP p.l.c.- Deepwater Horizon)
- Claude A. Reese v. John Browne and Robert A. Malone (BP p.l.c.- Prudhoe Bay)
- Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 137 Pension Fund v. American Express Co.
- In re SCANA Securities Litigation
- In re The Allstate Corporation Securities Litigation
- In re Virtus Investment Partners, Inc. Securities Litigation
Settled | Resolved Cases
2008, New York