James W. Johnson
James W. Johnson focuses on complex securities fraud cases. In representing investors who have been victimized by securities fraud and breaches of fiduciary responsibility, Jim's advocacy has resulted in record recoveries for wronged investors. Currently, he is prosecuting high-profile cases against financial industry leader Goldman Sachs in In re Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. Securities Litigation and Facebook, the world's most popular social network, in In re Facebook, Inc., IPO Securities and Derivative Litigation. In addition to his active caseload, Jim holds a variety of leadership positions within the Firm, including serving on the Firm's Executive Committee and acting as the Firm's Hiring Partner. He also serves as the Firm's Executive Partner overseeing firmwide issues.
A recognized leader in his field, Jim has successfully litigated a number of complex securities and RICO class actions including: In re Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. Securities Litigation ($275 million settlement with Bear Stearns Companies, plus a $19.9 million settlement with Deloitte & Touche LLP, Bear Stearns' outside auditor); In re HealthSouth Corp. Securities Litigation ($671 million settlement); Eastwood Enterprises LLC v. Farha et al. (WellCare Securities Litigation) ($200 million settlement); In re Bristol Myers Squibb Co. Securities Litigation ($185 million settlement), in which the court also approved significant corporate governance reforms and recognized plaintiff's counsel as "extremely skilled and efficient"; In re Amgen Inc. Securities Litigation ($95 million settlement); In re National Health Laboratories, Inc. Securities Litigation, which resulted in a recovery of $80 million in the federal action and a related state court derivative action; and In re Vesta Insurance Group, Inc. Securities Litigation ($79 million settlement).
In County of Suffolk v. Long Island Lighting Co., Jim represented the plaintiff in a RICO class action, securing a jury verdict after a two-month trial that resulted in a $400 million settlement. The Second Circuit quoted the trial judge, Honorable Jack B. Weinstein, as stating "counsel [has] done a superb job [and] tried this case as well as I have ever seen any case tried." On behalf of the Chugach Native Americans, he also assisted in prosecuting environmental damage claims resulting from the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
Jim is a member of the American Bar Association and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, where he served on the Federal Courts Committee, and he is a Fellow in the Litigation Council of America.
Jim has received a rating of AV Preeminent from the publishers of the Martindale-Hubbell directory.
New York University School of Law
- 3226701 Canada Inc. v. Qualcomm, Inc.
- Anderson v. StoneMor Partners LP
- Avila v. LifeLock, Inc.
- Emerson v. Mutual Fund Series Trust
- In re Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Patel v. Cigna Corp.
- Public Employees' Retirement System of Mississippi v. Sprouts Farmers Market Inc.
- In re SCANA Securities Litigation
- Vancouver Alumni Asset Holdings, Inc. v. Daimler AG
- Wang v. PTC Therapeutics, Inc.
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re Amgen Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Bristol-Myers Squibb Securities Litigation
- In re Celestica Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Colonial BancGroup, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Eastwood Enterprises, LLC v. Farha et al. (WellCare Securities Litigation)
- In re Facebook, Inc., IPO Securities and Derivative Litigation
- In re HealthSouth Securities Litigation
- In re National Australia Bank Securities Litigation
- In re STEC, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Vesta Insurance Group, Inc. Securities Litigation
1987, New York
1990, U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals
1989, Second Circuit
2007, Third Circuit
1996, Fourth Circuit
2001, Fifth Circuit
1991, Seventh Circuit
2006, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court
1988, Southern District of New York
1988, Eastern District of New York
1989, Northern District of New York
In the News
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Recovers $95 Million in Securities Class Action Against Biotech Titan Amgen Inc. (07/20/2016)
- Law360, Sprouts Farmers Market Hit with Shareholder Suit (03/25/2016)
- The National Law Journal, Labaton Sucharow Wins 2015 Elite Trial Lawyers Competition in Securities Law (December 2015)
- Law360, Goldman Sachs Investors Win Class Cert in Abacus Case (09/25/2015)
- Law360, The Question You Should Ask All Lateral Hires (01/26/2015)
- Law360, Bear Stearns Workers with Unexercised Stock Options Get Zip (09/09/2014)