Christopher J. Keller
Christopher J. Keller focuses on complex securities litigation cases. His clients are institutional investors, including some of the world's largest public and private pension funds with tens of billions of dollars under management.
Described by The Legal 500 as a "sharp and tenacious advocate" who "has his pulse on the trends," Chris has been instrumental in the Firm's appointments as lead counsel in some of the largest securities matters arising out of the financial crisis, such as actions against Countrywide ($624 million settlement), Bear Stearns ($275 million settlement with Bear Stearns Companies, plus a $19.9 million settlement with Deloitte & Touche LLP, Bear Stearns' outside auditor), and Goldman Sachs.
Chris has also been integral in the prosecution of traditional fraud cases such as In re Schering-Plough Corporation / ENHANCE Securities Litigation; In re Massey Energy Co. Securities Litigation, where the Firm obtained a $265 million all-cash settlement with Alpha Natural Resources, Massey's parent company; as well as In re Satyam Computer Services, Ltd. Securities Litigation, where the Firm obtained a settlement of more than $150 million. Chris was also a principal litigator on the trial team of In re Real Estate Associates Limited Partnership Litigation. The six-week jury trial resulted in a $184 million plaintiffs' verdict, one of the largest jury verdicts since the passage of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act.
In addition to his active caseload, Chris holds a variety of leadership positions within the Firm, including serving on the Firm's Executive Committee. In response to the evolving needs of clients, Chris also established, and currently leads, the Case Development Group, which is composed of attorneys, in-house investigators, financial analysts, and forensic accountants. The group is responsible for evaluating clients' financial losses and analyzing their potential legal claims both in and outside of the U.S. and tracking trends that are of potential concern to investors.
Educating institutional investors is a significant element of Chris' advocacy efforts for shareholder rights. He is regularly called upon for presentations on developing trends in the law and new case theories at annual meetings and seminars for institutional investors.
He is a member of several professional groups, including the New York State Bar Association and the New York County Lawyers' Association. In 2017, he was elected to the New York City Bar Fund Board of Directors. The City Bar Fund is the nonprofit 501(c)(3) arm of the New York City Bar Association aimed at engaging and supporting the legal profession in advancing social justice.
St. John's University School of Law
- In re Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Local 705 International Brotherhood of Teamsters Pension Fund v. Diamond Resorts International Inc.
- In re Maximus, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Norfolk County Retirement System v. Solazyme, Inc.
- Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 60 Pension Trust v. Nielsen Holdings
- Steamfitters Local 449 Pension Plan v. Molina Healthcare, Inc.
- In re Takata Airbag Products Liability Litigation
- Wayne County Employees' Retirement System v. Mavenir, Inc. F/K/A Xura, Inc.
Settled | Resolved Cases
- Arkansas Teacher Retirement System v. State Street Corp.
- In re Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Chemed Corp. Securities Litigation
- In re Colonial BancGroup, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Construction Laborers Pension Trust of Greater St. Louis v. Autoliv, Inc.
- In re Countrywide Securities Litigation
- In re Lehman Brothers Equity/Debt Securities Litigation
- In re Massey Energy Co. Securities Litigation
- In re Mercury Interactive Securities Litigation
- In re Monster Worldwide, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc., Securities Litigation
- In re Real Estate Associates Limited Partnership Litigation
- Rubin v. MF Global, Ltd., et al.
- In re Satyam Computer Services, Ltd. Securities Litigation
- In re Schering-Plough Corporation / ENHANCE Securities Litigation
1998, New York
2007, U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court
2000, Southern District of New York
2000, Eastern District of New York
2008, Eastern District of Wisconsin
2009, District of Colorado
In the News
- Press Release, Lawdragon Names Firm Co-Chairmen Among Leading Lawyers in America (03/27/2018)
- The American Lawyer, Labaton Sucharow Names Securities Litigator to Serve as Co-Chairman (12/05/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Names Christopher J. Keller Firm Co-Chairman (12/04/2017)
- The American Lawyer, Labaton Sucharow Continues its Expansion with Four New Hires (06/30/2017)
- Law360, These Firms Lead the Pack in Handling Securities Suits (09/23/2016)
- Law360, Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm: Labaton Sucharow (10/05/2015)
- The National Law Journal, Benchmarks and Billions: The Plaintiffs' Hot List (03/02/2015)
- Law360, Analysis of the U.S. Supreme Court Ruling in Halliburton v. Erica P. John Fund (06/25/2014)
- Law360, 2nd Circ. Closes Door on Morrison Debate, Or Does It? (05/08/2014)
- Law360, Class Action Group of the Year: Labaton Sucharow (01/29/2013)
- International Business News, Rotten to the Core? A Quarter of Bankers Say Illegal Activity Vital for Success (07/10/2012)
- New York Magazine, Judge Calls Goldman Sachs 'Orwellian' in CDO Suit Opinion (06/22/2012)
- The AmLaw Litigation Daily, Goldman Slammed by Judge Crotty; Shareholder Case to Move Forward (06/22/2012)
- The New York Times, Questions of Fair Play Arise in Facebook's I.P.O. Process (05/23/2012)
- USA Today, 3 Facebook Investors Sue on Handling of IPO (05/23/2012)
- Law360, Flurry of Facebook IPO Suits May Stand on Shaky Ground (05/23/2012)
- Law360, Securities Cases To Watch In 2012 (01/01/2012)
- Reuters, DuPont Sued Over Herbicide Said to Kill Trees (07/15/2011)
- Law360, High Court Term Draws Bright Lines For Securities Bar (07/01/2011)
- Law360, Halliburton Loss Causation Ruling To Have Narrow Impact (06/06/2011)
- Law360, Matrixx Opens Doors for Plaintiffs, But Only a Crack (03/22/2011)
- Pharma Times, Alcon Shareholders File Lawsuit to Stop 'Brazen' Novartis Takeover (01/12/2010)
- Bloomberg.com, Satyam Attacks Pension Fund, Other Investors to Limit Liability (04/09/2009)
- Reuters, Ex-Fannie, Freddie CEOs May Collect Millions (09/08/2008)
- The Boston Globe, Monster Agrees to $47.5m Settlement (08/02/2008)
- The National Law Journal, Backdating Cases Head to Settlement (02/18/2008)
- MarketWatch, Justices to Hear High-Profile Investor Lawsuit Case (10/05/2007)
- Washington Post, Mortgage Mess Unleashes Chain Of Lawsuits (09/11/2007)
- The Wall Street Journal, Suit Claims Monster's Ex-Chief Had Backdating Role (07/20/2007)
- Lawdragon, Elite Lawyer in the Legal Profession (2018)
- Law360, Named Labaton Sucharow Class Action Practice Group of the Year (2012, 2014-2017)
- New York City Bar Association, The City Bar Fund, Board Member (2017)
- The National Law Journal, Benchmarks and Billions: The Plaintiffs' Hot List: Lessons Learned (2015)
- The Legal 500, Recommended in the Field of Securities Litigation (2011-2012, 2014-2016)
- The National Law Journal, Plaintiffs' Hot List: Noteworthy Cases (2006-2008)
Published & Presented
- New York City Bar Association, Update on U.S. Securities Litigation and Coverage Considerations (Panelist) (06/15/2017)
- American International Group, Financial Lines Producer Conference, Plaintiffs Counsel Segment (Panelist) (09/07/2016)
- Professional Liability Attorney Network, D&O Marketplace: Mediation Strategies (Panelist) (06/21/2016)
- American Conference Institute (ACI), Cross-Industry Interdisciplinary Summit on Defending and Managing Class Actions (Panelist) (04/12/2016)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Annual Conference (Panelist) (11/12/2015)
- American Constitution Society, 2012 ACS National Convention (Panelist) (06/15/2012)
- American International Group, Financial Lines Producer Conference (Panelist) (05/20/2015)
- Law360, The Benefits of Investor Protection (10/11/2011)
- Executive Counsel, SEC Contemplating Government Reforms (December 2010-January 2011)
- New York Law Journal, Is the Shield Beginning to Crack? (11/15/2010)
- Corporate Counsel, Say What? Pay What? (08/05/2010)
- New York Law Journal, Reining In The Credit Ratings Industry (01/11/2010)
- Pensions & Investments, Trade Talk: SEC Facing Thorny Issues with Flash Trading, Dark Pools, Naked Access (12/14/2009)
- BNA Securities Regulation & Law, Balancing the Scales: The Use of Confidential Witnesses in Securities Class Actions (01/19/2009)
- The National Law Journal, Japan's Past Recession Provides a Cautionary Tale (04/13/2009)
- New York Law Journal, Eyeing Executive Compensation (11/17/2008)
- New York Law Journal, Tellabs: PSLRA Pleading Test Comparative, Not Absolute (10/03/2007)
- IPE Class Actions & Pensions, FIFO vs LIFO (05/01/2006)