Carol C. Villegas
Carol C. Villegas focuses on prosecuting complex securities fraud cases on behalf of institutional investors. Leading one of the Firm’s litigation teams, she currently oversees litigation against DeVry Education Group, Skechers, U.S.A., Inc., Nimble Storage, Liquidity Services, Inc., Extreme Networks, Inc., and SanDisk. In addition to her litigation responsibilities, Carol holds a variety of leadership positions within the Firm, including serving on the Firm's Executive Committee and serving as Co-Chair of the Firm's Women's Networking and Mentoring Initiative.
Carol’s skillful handling of discovery work, her development of innovative case theories in complex cases, and her adept ability during oral argument earned her recent accolades from the New York Law Journal as a Top Woman in Law as well as a Rising Star by Benchmark Litigation.
Carol played a pivotal role in securing favorable settlements for investors from AMD, a multi-national semiconductor company, Aeropostale, a leader in the international retail apparel industry, ViroPharma Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, and Vocera, a healthcare communications provider. A true advocate for her clients, Carol’s argument in the case against Vocera resulted in a ruling from the bench, denying defendants motion to dismiss in that case.
Prior to joining Labaton Sucharow, Carol served as the Assistant District Attorney in the Supreme Court Bureau for the Richmond County District Attorney's office, where she took several cases to trial. She began her career as an associate at King & Spalding LLP, where she worked as a federal litigator.
Carol received a J.D. from New York University School of Law, and she was the recipient of The Irving H. Jurow Achievement Award for the Study of Law and selected to receive the Association of the Bar of the City of New York Minority Fellowship. Carol served as the Staff Editor, and later the Notes Editor, of the Environmental Law Journal. She earned a B.A., with honors, in English and Politics from New York University.
Carol is a member of the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA), the National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL), the Hispanic National Bar Association, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, and a member of the Executive Council for the New York State Bar Association's Committee on Women in the Law.
She is fluent in Spanish.
New York University School of Law
New York University
B.A., English and Politics, with honors, 1999
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re Accuray Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Chemed Corp. Securities Litigation
- Hatamian v. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
- In re Herley Industries, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Lancer Funds Securities Class Action Settlement (Citco Settlement)
- In re Spectranetics Corporation Securities Litigation
- The City of Providence v. Aeropostale, Inc. et al.
- In re ViroPharma Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Vocera Communications, Inc. Securities Litigation
2003, New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
2015, First Circuit
2014, Second Circuit
2016, Ninth Circuit
2010, Tenth Circuit
2014, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court
2003, Southern District of New York
2003, Eastern District of New York
2009, District of Colorado
2009, Eastern District of Wisconsin
In the News
Published & Presented
- Lawline CLE Program, First Solar and Its Effect on Securities and Fraud Actions (04/30/2018)
- St. John's School of Law: Multilingual Legal Advocates Program, Insights on Being a Bilingual Female Lawyer in the Legal Industry (04/10/2018)
- Law360, 9th Circ. Decision Could Be Game-Changer For Investors (02/02/2018)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Leveling the Playing Field: Addressing Institutional and Implicit Bias and Identifying Opportunities for Women’s Participation and Success (Moderator) (01/23/2018)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Everything You Always Wanted to Learn About Breaking Into Tech, Financial Services, & Startup Companies & Current Trends (Moderator) (01/25/2016)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Negotiation Ethics: Pitfalls and Rules (Moderator) (01/27/2015)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Show Me the Money: Can We Close the Gender Equity Gap? (Moderator) (01/28/2014)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Women on the Move (Moderator) (11/28/2012)