NEW YORK (October 19, 2015) — Labaton Sucharow LLP is honored that the Alliance for Justice (AFJ) is presenting Firm partner Edward Labaton with the AFJ’s “Champion of Justice Award” at the organization’s annual gala in New York. The AFJ is a national nonprofit association of over 100 organizations which represent a broad array of groups “committed to progressive values and the creation of an equitable, just, and free society.”
Key speakers at the Alliance for Justice event will include New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, Editor and Publisher of The Nation, Katrina vanden Heuvel, and Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein LLP partner, Elizabeth Cabraser.
An accomplished trial and appellate lawyer and partner with the Firm, Edward Labaton has devoted more than 50 years of practice to representing a full range of clients in class action and complex litigation matters in state and federal courts. Ed has played a chief role as plaintiffs' class counsel in a number of successfully prosecuted, high-profile cases, involving companies such as Pepsi, Revlon, and American Brands, as well as several Big Eight (now Four) accounting firms. He has also argued appeals in state and federal courts, achieving results with precedential value.
Ed has held a plethora of distinguished leadership positions in and outside of the legal field, including:
- President of the Institute for Law and Economic Policy (ILEP) since its founding in 1996;
- Lifetime member of the American Law Institute;
- Member of the Board of Directors and Chairman of the Federal Courts Committee of the New York County Lawyers' Association (NYCLA);
- Chair of the Legal Referral Service Committee, a joint committee of the NYCLA and the New York City Bar Association (NYCBA);
- Advisory Board Member of George Washington University's Center for Law, Economics, & Finance, a think tank for the study and debate of major issues in economic and financial law;
- Advisory Committee Member of the Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance of the University of Delaware;
- Lifetime Member of the American Bar Association (ABA) Foundation;
- Honorary Lifetime Member of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights under Law;
- Member of the NYCBA, where he was previously Chair of the Senior Lawyers' Committee and served on the Task Force on the Role of Lawyers in Corporate Governance, as well as Federal Courts, Federal Legislation, Securities Regulation, International Human Rights, and Corporation Law Committees;
- Member of the ABA, the Federal Bar Council, and the New York State Bar Association, where he has served as a member of the House of Delegates; and
- Executive Committee Member and has been an Officer of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund since its inception in 1996.