Serena P. Hallowell
Serena P. Hallowell leads the Direct Action Litigation Practice and focuses on complex litigation, prosecuting securities fraud cases on behalf of some of the world's largest institutional investors as well as investigations and litigation on behalf of governmental entities aimed at achieving significant financial recoveries and injunctive relief that remedies and deters fraudulent, illegal, or improper conduct. She is prosecuting In re Intuitive Surgical Securities Litigation, Public Employees' Retirement System of Mississippi v. Endo International plc, and Schaffer v. Horizon Pharma PLC. She is also currently advising a number of institutional investors in connection with pursuing potential direct actions against a large pharmaceutical manufacturer. In addition to her litigation responsibilities, Serena serves as Co-Chair of the Firm's Women's Networking and Mentoring Initiative.
For the last two years Serena has been recommended by The Legal 500 in securities litigation. In 2016, she was named a Benchmark Litigation Rising Star and a Rising Star by Law360.
Serena was part of a highly skilled team that reached a $140 million settlement against one of the world's largest gold mining companies in In re Barrick Gold Securities Litigation. Playing a principal role in prosecuting In re Computer Sciences Corporation Securities Litigation in a "rocket docket" jurisdiction, she helped secure a settlement of $97.5 million on behalf of lead plaintiff Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board, the third largest all cash settlement in the Fourth Circuit at the time. She was also instrumental in securing a $48 million recovery in Medoff v. CVS Caremark Corporation, as well as a $41.5 million settlement in In re NII Holdings, Inc. Securities Litigation. Serena also has broad appellate and trial experience.
Prior to joining Labaton Sucharow, Serena was an attorney at Ohrenstein & Brown LLP, where she participated in various federal and state commercial litigation matters. During her time there, she also defended financial companies in regulatory proceedings and assisted in high-profile litigation matters in connection with mutual funds trading investigations.
Serena received a J.D. from Boston University School of Law, where she served as the Note Editor for the Journal of Science & Technology Law. She earned a B.A. in Political Science from Occidental College.
Serena is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, the Federal Bar Council, and the National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL). She has also devoted time to pro bono work with the Securities Arbitration Clinic at Brooklyn Law School.
She is conversational in Urdu/Hindi.
Boston University School of Law
B.A., Political Science, 1999
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re Barrick Gold Securities Litigation
- In re Coinstar Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Computer Sciences Corporation Securities Litigation
- In re Genworth Financial, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Massachusetts Bricklayers and Masons Trust Funds v. Deutsche Alt-A Securities, Inc., et al. (Deutsche Mortgage Pass-Through Certificates Securities Litigation)
- Medoff v. CVS Caremark Corporation et al
- In re NII Holdings, Inc. Securities Litigation
2004, New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
2012, First Circuit
2017, Ninth Circuit
2011, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court
2006, Southern District of New York
2006, Eastern District of New York
In the News
- Bloomberg BNA Securities Law Daily, Justices’ Securities Docket Could Reflect Class Action Focus (07/19/2017)
- Vox, U.S. Officials Are Starting to Treat Opioid Companies Like Big Tobacco — and Suing Them (06/07/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Earns High Marks in the 2017 Legal 500 Guide (05/31/2017)
- Chicago Tribune, Southern Illinois County Sues Abbott Over Marketing's Role in Opioid Epidemic (04/21/2017)
- The Washington Post, Opioid Distributors Sued by West Virginia Counties Hit by Drug Crisis (03/09/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Achieves Recovery in Suit over Latin American Gold Mining Project (05/31/2016)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Recovers $41.5 Million in Securities Class Action Against Multinational Communications Co. Executives (04/19/2016)
- Law360, Rising Star: Labaton Sucharow's Serena Hallowell (04/04/2016)
- Law360, What Associates Need to Do to Stand Out (01/14/2015)
- Law360, Judge Trims Intuitive Surgery Device Securities Class Action (08/22/2014)
Published & Presented
- Law360, Investor Recovery Strategies Following ANZ Securities (07/12/2017)
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL), Women's Initiatives Leadership Boot Camp (Moderator) (05/01/2015)
- Labaton Sucharow, Trial Advocacy and Class Actions – Available Pre-Trial Tools To Deal with Evidentiary Issues of Admissibility and Authentication (Speaker) (09/30/2014)
- New York Law Journal, Does 'Dukes' Require Full 'Daubert' Scrutiny at Class Certification? (11/25/2011)