Karin E. Garvey
OverviewWith nearly two decades of litigation experience, Karin E. Garvey focuses on representing businesses and public pension funds in complex antitrust class actions.
Prior to joining Labaton Sucharow, Karin practiced antitrust and general litigation at Kaye Scholer LLP, representing and counseling clients from a wide spectrum of industries including pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, building materials, film, finance, and private equity.
Karin brings significant experience in managing complex, multijurisdictional cases from initial case development through resolution and appeal. She has prepared and defended company executives for deposition, hearing, and trial and has conducted similar examinations of her opponents. Karin also has significant experience working with experts—including economists, toxicologists, materials scientists, valuation experts, foreign law experts and appraisers, among others—developing reports and testimony, preparing for and defending depositions, as well as taking depositions of opponents’ experts. In addition, Karin has engaged in all phases of trial preparation and trial and has briefed and argued appeals.
Karin obtained her J.D., cum laude, from Northwestern University School of Law, where she was a Note and Comment Editor for the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology. She earned her A.B., cum laude, in Sociology from Harvard University.
Karin is an Antitrust Section Member of the American Bar Association.
EducationNorthwestern University School of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1997
A.B., cum laude, Sociology, 1994
- In re Domestic Airline Travel Antitrust Litigation
- In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litigation
- In re Generic Digoxin and Doxycycline Antitrust Litigation
- ISDAFIX Price-Fixing Litigation (Alaska Electrical Pension Fund v. Bank of America)
- In re Lidoderm Antitrust Litigation
- In re Liquid Aluminum Sulfate Antitrust Litigation
- In re Opana ER Antitrust Litigation
- In re Platinum and Palladium Antitrust Litigation (Modern Settings LLC v. BASF Metals Limited)
- In re SSA Bonds Antitrust Litigation
- In re Treasury Securities Auction Antitrust Litigation
Admissions1999, New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
2006, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Courts
2000, Southern District of New York
2001, Eastern District of New York
Published & Presented
- Competition Policy International, A Turning of the Tide: Victim Redress Through Private Antitrust Litigation (07/18/2016)
- Antitrust Health Care Chronicle, Indirect Purchasers Face a High Bar in Certifying Class Actions Involving Claims of Delayed Generic Entry in the Pharmaceutical Industry in the Wake of Recent U.S. Supreme Court Decisions (01/01/2015)
- Bloomberg BNA- Antitrust & Trade Regulation Report, Is Any Consideration a ‘Payment’? The Continuing Struggle over How to Interpret FTC v. Actavis (01/09/2015)