Ira A. Schochet
A seasoned litigator with three decades of experience, Ira A. Schochet focuses on class actions involving securities fraud. Ira has played a lead role in securing multimillion dollar recoveries and major corporate governance reforms in high-profile cases such as those against Countrywide Financial, Boeing, Massey Energy, Caterpillar, Spectrum Information Technologies, InterMune, and Amkor Technology.
A longtime leader in the securities class action bar, Ira represented one of the first institutional investors acting as a lead plaintiff in a post-Private Securities Litigation Reform Act case and ultimately obtained one of the first rulings interpreting the statute's intent provision in a manner favorable to investors. His efforts are regularly recognized by the courts, including in Kamarasy v. Coopers & Lybrand, where the court remarked on "the superior quality of the representation provided to the class." Further, in approving the settlement he achieved in the InterMune litigation, the court complimented Ira's ability to secure a significant recovery for the class in a very efficient manner, shielding the class from prolonged litigation and substantial risk.
Ira has also played a key role in groundbreaking cases in the field of merger and derivative litigation. In In re Freeport-McMoRan Copper &Gold Inc. Derivative Litigation, he achieved the second largest derivative settlement in the Delaware Court of Chancery history, a $153.75 million settlement with an unprecedented provision of direct payments to stockholders by means of a special dividend. In another first-of-its-kind case, Ira was featured in The AmLaw Litigation Daily as Litigator of the Week for his work in In re El Paso Corporation Shareholder Litigation. The action alleged breach of fiduciary duties in connection with a merger transaction, including specific reference to wrongdoing by a conflicted financial advisory consultant, and resulted in a $110 million recovery for a class of shareholders and a waiver by the consultant of its fee.
From 2009-2011, Ira served as President of the National Association of Shareholder and Consumer Attorneys (NASCAT), a membership organization of approximately 100 law firms that practice class action and complex civil litigation. During this time, he represented the plaintiffs' securities bar in meetings with members of Congress, the Administration, and the SEC.
From 1996 through 2012, Ira served as Chairman of the Class Action Committee of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association. During his tenure, he has served on the Executive Committee of the Section and authored important papers on issues relating to class action procedure including revisions proposed by both houses of Congress and the Advisory Committee on Civil Procedure of the United States Judicial Conference. Examples include: "Proposed Changes in Federal Class Action Procedure"; "Opting Out On Opting In," and "The Interstate Class Action Jurisdiction Act of 1999."
He also has lectured extensively on securities litigation at continuing legal education seminars. He has also been awarded an AV Preeminent rating, the highest distinction, from the publishers of the Martindale-Hubbell directory.
Duke University School of Law
State University of New York at Binghamton
B.A., summa cum laude, 1977
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re aaiPharma Inc. Securities Litigation
- Construction Laborers Pension Trust of Greater St. Louis v. Autoliv, Inc.
- In re Countrywide Securities Litigation
- In re DHB Industries, Inc. Class Action Litigation
- In re El Paso Corporation Shareholder Litigation
- In re Fifth Street Finance Corp. Securities Litigation
- Freedman v. Weatherford International, Ltd.
- In re Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. Derivative Litigation
- In re HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re InterMune Securities Litigation
- In re J.Crew Shareholder Litigation
- In re Massey Energy Co. Securities Litigation
- State-Boston Retirement System v. Wildrick
- The Boeing Company Derivative Class Action
- In re The Student Loan Corporation Litigation
- In re Van der Moolen Holdings N.V. Securities Litigation
- In re Veritas Software Corporation Securities Litigation
- Weston v. RCS Capital Corporation
1983, New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
2005, Second Circuit
2015, Fifth Circuit
2007, Ninth Circuit
2017, Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court
1985, Southern District of New York
1985, Eastern District of New York
1993, Central District of Illinois
2000, Northern District of Texas
2011, Western District of Michigan
In the News
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Recovers $31 Million in Securities Class Action Settlement with RCS Capital (06/16/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Earns High Marks in the 2017 Legal 500 Guide (05/31/2017)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Reaches Settlement of $14.05 Million in Securities Class Action Against Fifth Street
- Pensions & Investments, Supreme Court Rules on Benefit Overpayments, Class Action Lawsuits (01/20/2016)
- Law360, Lawyers Weigh in on High Court's Class Action Ruling (01/20/2016)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Secures $120 Million Recovery from Weatherford (07/01/2015)
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Secures One of the Largest Settlements in Court of Chancery History from Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, Inc. (01/15/2015)
- Law360, How They Won It: Labaton Scores $265M Massey Settlement (07/30/2014)
- Bloomberg BNA, Second Circuit Rejects 'Listing Theory' for Foreign Securities; Applies Morrison (05/13/2014)
- Bloomberg BNA, Chamber of Commerce White Paper Questions Value of Securities Class Actions (02/06/2014)
- Law360, Securities Class Actions On Life Support In High Court Case (11/15/2013)
- The Legal 500, Recommended in the Field of M&A Litigation (2016-2017); Recommended in the Field of Securities Litigation (2013, 2015-2017)
- Law360, Featured in "How They Won It" series for winning strategy in the El Paso Shareholder Litigation (10/26/2012)
- The AmLaw Litigation Daily, Litigator of the Week: Ira A. Schochet of Labaton Sucharow (09/13/2012)
Published & Presented
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), AAJ 2015 Annual Convention (Speaker) (07/14/2015)
- American Constitution Society, 2012 ACS National Convention (Panelist) (06/15/2012)
- Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law, Loss Causation and the Global Economic Crisis (07/27/2009)
- NYLitigator, Contact by Counsel with Putative Members of Class Prior to Class Certification (06/01/2008)