Christopher J. McDonald
OverviewChristopher J. McDonald focuses on prosecuting complex securities fraud cases. Chris also works with the Firm's Antitrust & Competition Litigation Practice, representing businesses, associations, and individuals injured by anticompetitive activities and unfair business practices.
In the securities field, Chris is currently lead counsel in In re Amgen Inc. Securities Litigation. Most recently, he was co-lead counsel in In re Schering-Plough Corporation / ENHANCE Securities Litigation, which resulted in a $473 million settlement, one of the largest securities class action settlement ever against a pharmaceutical company and among the ten largest recoveries ever in a securities class action that did not involve a financial reinstatement. He was also an integral part of the team that successfully litigated In re Bristol-Myers Squibb Securities Litigation, where Labaton Sucharow secured a $185 million settlement, as well as significant corporate governance reforms, on behalf of Bristol-Myers shareholders.
In the antitrust field, Chris was most recently co-lead counsel in In re TriCor Indirect Purchaser Antitrust Litigation, obtaining a $65.7 million settlement on behalf of the class.
Chris began his legal career at Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler LLP, where he gained extensive trial experience in areas ranging from employment contract disputes to false advertising claims. Later, as a senior attorney with a telecommunications company, Chris advocated before government regulatory agencies on a variety of complex legal, economic, and public policy issues. Since joining Labaton Sucharow, Chris' practice has developed a focus on life sciences industries; his cases often involve pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or medical device companies accused of wrongdoing.
During his time at Fordham University School of Law, Chris was a member of the Law Review. He is currently a member of the New York State Bar Association and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Fordham University School of Law
B.A., cum laude, 1985
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re Amgen Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Beckman Coulter, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Bristol-Myers Squibb Securities Litigation
- In re Natural Gas Commodity Litigation
- In re Schering-Plough Corporation / ENHANCE Securities Litigation
- In re Stock Exchange Options Trading Antitrust Litigation
- In re TriCor Indirect Purchaser Antitrust Litigation
1993, New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
2006, Second Circuit
2005, Third Circuit
2009, Ninth Circuit
2007, Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court
1994, Southern District of New York
1994, Eastern District of New York
In the News
- Press Release, Labaton Sucharow Recovers $95 Million in Securities Class Action Against Biotech Titan Amgen Inc. (07/20/2016)
- Law360, VIDEO: A Primer on Halliburton v. Erica P. John Fund (05/23/2014)
- Forbes, Supreme Court May Hem In, But Not Overrule Securities Class-Action Theory (03/05/2014)
- Law360, Top Plaintiffs Firms Say Amgen No License To Print Money (02/28/2013)
- Pensions & Investments, Supreme Court Rules on Class Action, Gabelli Cases (02/27/2013)
- Pink Sheet DAILY, Securities Fraud Class Action Suits Could Grow After Amgen's Supreme Court Loss (02/27/2013)
- The New York Times, Merck Settles Suits Over Cholesterol Drug (02/14/2013)
- Reuters, Merck to Pay $688 Million to Settle Enhance Lawsuits (02/14/2013)