Carol C. Villegas
Carol C. Villegas focuses on prosecuting complex securities fraud cases on behalf of institutional investors. Currently, she is litigating cases against Nimble Storage, Liquidity Services, Inc., and Advanced Micro Devices, where she is the lead discovery attorney. In addition to her litigation responsibilities, Carol also serves as Co-Chair of the Firm's Women's Networking and Mentoring Initiative.
Carol’s skillful handling of discovery work, her development of innovative case theories in complex cases, and her adept ability during oral argument earned her recent accolades from the New York Law Journal as a Top Woman in Law as well as a Rising Star by Benchmark Litigation.
Carol played a pivotal role in securing favorable settlements for investors from Aeropostale, a leader in the international retail apparel industry, ViroPharma Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, and Vocera, a healthcare communications provider. A true advocate for her clients, Carol’s argument in the case against Vocera resulted in a ruling from the bench, denying defendants motion to dismiss in that case.
Prior to joining Labaton Sucharow, Carol served as the Assistant District Attorney in the Supreme Court Bureau for the Richmond County District Attorney's office, where she took several cases to trial. She began her career as an associate at King & Spalding LLP where she worked as a federal litigator in the Intellectual Property practice group.
Carol received a J.D. from New York University School of Law, and she was the recipient of The Irving H. Jurow Achievement Award for the Study of Law and selected to receive the Association of the Bar of the City of New York Minority Fellowship. Carol served as the Staff Editor, and later the Notes Editor, of the Environmental Law Journal. She earned a B.A., with honors, in English and Politics from New York University.
Carol is a member of the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA), the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and a member of the Executive Council for the New York State Bar Association's Committee on Women in the Law. She also devotes time to pro bono work with the Securities Arbitration Clinic at Brooklyn Law School.
She is fluent in Spanish.
New York University School of Law
New York University
B.A., English and Politics, with honors, 1999
Settled | Resolved Cases
- In re Accuray Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Chemed Corp. Securities Litigation
- In re Herley Industries, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Lancer Funds Securities Class Action Settlement (Citco Settlement)
- In re Spectranetics Corporation Securities Litigation
- The City of Providence v. Aeropostale, Inc. et al.
- In re ViroPharma Inc. Securities Litigation
- In re Vocera Communications, Inc. Securities Litigation
2003, New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
2015, First Circuit
2014, Second Circuit
2016, Ninth Circuit
2010, Tenth Circuit
2014, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court
2003, Southern District of New York
2003, Eastern District of New York
2009, District of Colorado
2009, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Published & Presented
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Everything You Always Wanted to Learn About Breaking Into Tech, Financial Services, & Startup Companies & Current Trends (Moderator) (01/25/2016)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Negotiation Ethics: Pitfalls and Rules (Moderator) (01/27/2015)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Show Me the Money: Can We Close the Gender Equity Gap? (Moderator) (01/28/2014)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Women on the Move (Moderator) (11/28/2012)