Firm & Individual Commitments
- The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
Edward Labaton, Member, Board of Directors
The Firm is a long-time supporter of The Lawyers' Committee for Civil rights Under Law, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization formed in 1963 at the request of President John F. Kennedy. The Lawyer's Committee involves the private bar in providing legal services to address racial discrimination.
Labaton Sucharow attorneys have contributed on the federal level to United States Supreme Court nominee analyses (analyzing nominees for their views on such topics as ethnic equality, corporate diversity and gender discrimination) and national voters rights initiatives.
- Change For Kids
Labaton Sucharow supports Change for Kids (CFK) as a leading sponsor of P.S. 182 in East Harlem. One school at a time, CFK rallies communities to provide a broad range of essential educational opportunities at under-resourced public elementary schools. By creating inspiring learning environments at our partner schools, CFK enables students to discover their unique strengths and develop the confidence to achieve.
- Sidney Hillman Foundation
Labaton Sucharow supports the work of our nation's journalists. Through investigative reporting, photojournalism, broadcast journalism, and opinion pieces, journalists have contributed greatly by bringing to light the critical issues of the day.
That is why Labaton Sucharow supports the Sidney Hillman Foundation. Created in honor of the first President of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, Sidney Hillman, the Foundation supports investigative and progressive journalism by its awarding monthly and yearly prizes. Labaton Sucharow's partner Thomas A. Dubbs is frequently invited to present these awards.
Individual CommitmentsLabaton Sucharow attorneys give of themselves in many ways, both by volunteering and in leadership positions in charitable organizations. A few of the awards our attorneys have received or organizations they are involved in are:
- Pro bono representation of mentally ill tenants facing eviction, appointed as guardian ad litem in several housing court actions.
- Recipient of a Volunteer and Leadership Award from a tenants' advocacy organization for work defending the rights of city residents and preserving their fundamental sense of public safety and home.
- Board Member of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund – the largest private funding agency of its kind supporting research into a method of early detection and, ultimately, a cure for ovarian cancer.
Our attorneys also participate in many charitable organizations, including:
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of New York City
- Boys and Girls Club of America
- City Harvest
- City Meals-on-Wheels
- Cycle for Survival
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Food Bank for New York City
- Fresh Air Fund
- Habitat for Humanity
- Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights
- Legal Aid Society
- The National Lung Cancer Partnership
- National MS Society
- National Parkinson Foundation
- New York Cares
- Peggy Browning Fund
- Sanctuary for Families
- Sandy Hook School Support Fund
- Save the Children
- The Sidney Hillman Foundation
- Special Olympics
- Williams Syndrome Association