Firm and Individual Commitments
To demonstrate our deep commitment to the community, Labaton Sucharow devotes significant resources to pro bono legal work and public and community service.
Brooklyn Law School Securities Arbitration Clinic
Labaton Sucharow has partnered with Brooklyn Law School to establish a securities arbitration clinic. The program serves a dual purpose: to assist defrauded individual investors who cannot otherwise afford to pay for legal counsel; and to provide students with real-world experience in securities arbitration and litigation. Partners Mark S. Arisohn and Joel H. Bernstein lead the program as adjunct professors.
Change for Kids
Labaton Sucharow supports Change for Kids (CFK) as a sponsor of P.S. 182 in East Harlem. One school at a time, CFK rallies communities to provide a broad range of essential educational opportunities at under-resourced public elementary schools. By creating inspiring learning environments at our partner schools, CFK enables students to discover their unique strengths and develop the confidence to achieve.
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
Edward Labaton, Member, Board of Directors
The Firm is a longtime supporter of The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil rights Under Law, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization formed in 1963 at the request of President John F. Kennedy. The Lawyers’ Committee involves the private bar in providing legal services to address racial discrimination. Labaton Sucharow attorneys have contributed on the federal level to U.S. Supreme Court nominee analyses (analyzing nominees for their views on such topics as ethnic equality, corporate diversity, and gender discrimination) and national voters’ rights initiatives.
Sidney Hillman Foundation
Labaton Sucharow supports the Sidney Hillman Foundation. Created in honor of the first president of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, Sidney Hillman, the foundation supports investigative and progressive journalism by awarding monthly and yearly prizes. Partner Thomas A. Dubbs is frequently invited to present these awards.
Labaton Sucharow attorneys give of themselves in many ways, both by volunteering and in leadership positions in charitable organizations. A few of the awards our attorneys have received or organizations they are involved in are:
- Awarded "Champion of Justice" by the Alliance for Justice, a national nonprofit association of over 100 organizations which represent a broad array of groups "committed to progressive values and the creation of an equitable, just, and free society."
- Pro bono representation of mentally ill tenants facing eviction, appointed as guardian ad litem in several housing court actions.
- Recipient of a Volunteer and Leadership Award from a tenants' advocacy organization for work defending the rights of city residents and preserving their fundamental sense of public safety and home.
- Board Member of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund—the largest private funding agency of its kind supporting research into a method of early detection and, ultimately, a cure for ovarian cancer.
Our attorneys also participate in many charitable organizations, including:
- American Heart Association
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of New York City
- Boys and Girls Club of America
- Carter Burden Center for the Aging
- City Harvest
- City Meals-on-Wheels
- Cycle for Survival
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Food Bank for New York City
- Fresh Air Fund
- Habitat for Humanity
- Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights
- Legal Aid Society
- Mentoring USA
- The National Lung Cancer Partnership
- National MS Society
- National Parkinson Foundation
- New York Cares
- Peggy Browning Fund
- Sanctuary for Families
- Sandy Hook School Support Fund
- Save the Children
- The Sidney Hillman Foundation
- Special Olympics
- Toys for Tots
- Williams Syndrome Association